Goals // PDX Participation

There's a lot that I limited myself to when living in New York. Looking back on it now, living close to the city, I should have been more active in the communities. But at the same time, if I had a second chance I probably wouldn't have done all that much more. I had a goal in mind: to move out of state. I felt the burden of a time crunch, so why join anything when I would have to leave pretty soon?

That was my state of mind. Probably not the best excuse. I should have enjoyed what New York had to offer, and the truth is I did! I loved New York, and I participated in what I could handle. But I do know I could have done more.

Now that I'm finally moving to my dream city, I no longer see an expiration date. Why not actually do things and enjoy life, right?

I made a list of stupid little goals and things I want to do in Portland, hah. I'm going to keep this list handy and make sure they make appearances in future posts.

So,
01. My main priority is to get a job. I may have some cool things rolling my way. I'm not stressing though; I'm feeling confident!
02. Moving to a pretty active and nature filled city, I obviously want to get more into nature. Every time I've visited, I loved all the hikes I went on. More hikes, please!
03. On the topic of being active, I think it's pretty mandatory I get into biking. I can't even tell you the last time I've been on one. I'm moving to the biking capital. I should jump on board the biking trail.
04. About the transportation, I love public transportation which is why I haven't gotten my driver's license yet. Public trans has been too convenient for me, especially traveling to/from/all-around NYC 5 days a week since graduating high school. I just need to pass my road test.
05. Another important goal is to make new friends. So far I've gotten familiar with my neighbors. They're all great. I'm not too concerned I won't make new friends; I feel like I'm still at an age where it's still possible.
06. I want to attend a lot of events - concerts, festivals, local events, anything that will keep me busy and socializing. In New York, I rarely attended anything. From what I see, Portland has some very interesting events.
07. Artsy and active things are also on the menu. I want to become a member in some awesome art studios that fill up the city, and even participate in craft fairs. I also want to join the roller derby so bad. Are there such things as clubs in the adult world?

08. I've been exploring and trying different foods. LOVE Indian cuisine. Portland has so much variety, and they're big into food trucks. My taste buds are going to go on a fantastic journey for sure.
09. Speaking of journeys, I'm hoping so many road trips will happen. Long Island is sorta a trap; 3/4 of directions you go, you hit water. Not the same case in any other state outside of New York. I'm excited to have the option to explore without constantly running out of land.
10. I also am excited to just explore the inner city and go on adventures right around the corner. There's so much to do waiting to be discovered.
11. I've spoken about guitar things a few times before. Unfortunately my guitar won't be moving due to space issues. I'm considering buying a new guitar out there, but it won't happen for a while until I settle. I want to get back into playing the guitar again. Like, DIVE into actually learning.
12. I also plan on being in full craft mode, depending on how much free time I have outside of jobs of course. I want to do so much. Not shipping out all my art supplies, I'm excited to just focus and use what I have.

Bring it on, Portland!

Leave a Reply