Grime Green

I've dyed my hair all sorts of colors. Any color, you name it; been there, done that.
I've never done green up until December. Around that time, I was on a big time Grimes high and I fell in love with her green hair.

The thing I love about her green hair is the fact that it was not a bright bright green but more like a darker forest green kind of shade. I love that it has a subtle quality to it and I really wanted that. I settled on keeping the top of my hair black with green tips.

I hate using bleach. It's damaging and frustrating. While on that Grimes high, I was also on a natural high, especially when it came to hair care. I tried to use natural ways of lightening my hair. Unfortunately natural methods aren't as fast as bleach is, but it's more gentle on your hair and lightens to a more natural blonde than a yellow that bleach creates.

I made a peroxide-baking soda-honey mixture to start off. I know it probably wasn't good for my hair but I used that mixture every day for a week. It did lighten, but it didn't get too light. I afterwards used straight honey on my hair. Honey is a natural lightener and conditions your hair at the same time. I personally prefer the honey treatment than the peroxide mix. My hair still didn't reach the lightness I wanted, so I gave into the bleach. I bought Green Envy from Manic Panic, and applied it to my lightened tips.

Being that my hair wasn't super light, I was able to achieve the dark green I wanted in the first place. I really like how it came out but there were a few difficulties I have to overcome to reach the green I wanted.

I didn't keep the green for very long. Well, actually a few months which is pretty damn long, at least for me it is. I dyed my hair black afterwards, but my goal is to get the green back. I'm slowly lightening it with honey again. And my goal is to have more of my hair light enough to get the green I want on more surface area. So, consider this a part one green hair post!

Here's a video of Grimes playing Oblivion with her awesome green hair.

Leave a Reply