DIY // Sleeveless Button Down Shirts

Where's the best place to find button down shirts? Thrift shops or your dad's closet! I always go through my father's closet. Being the nice daughter that I am, I of course take the clothes he doesn't wear anymore.

Being that most button down shirts you will find are oversized, you'll have the chance to rework them the way you want. Whether you want it to be super long, super short, or somewhere in the middle, it's completely your choice.

First find a shirt or two you'd like to revamp.

Take off the sleeves. You can cut, or use a seam ripper if you feel the need to be exact.

After you take off the sleeves, it's all up to you on how you want it to fit. I personally use a comfortably fitted shirt as a guide. Find a shirt in which you would like your button down to fit like, lay it on top of the button down, and use chalk to trace the width. When you sew it, follow your chalk guides. When you have it fitted the way you want, hem the bottom and the sleeves.

If you don't want to take it in and your comfortable with the size, then just go ahead and hem the sleeves.

After that's done, you're all done!

Those are three that I've worked on. These are 'before' photos; I went crazy with embellishments (upcoming post alert), which you're free to do after resizing the shirts! They should not be kept naked, don't you agree?

Leave a Reply