DIY // Mustache Stencils

I have done so many different crafts in my life. I always try to perfect techniques and projects while trying some new ones out at the same time. I juggle projects and multitask like no other.

I'm all about fabric paint. Shirts, shoes, bags - been there done that. This time around I wanted to try out a different technique. When I use fabric paint, i use it straight out of the tube. Only recently did I start using a palette and sponge brush. It's been marvelous for coloring in larger surface areas. I also was curious about repeats and patterns.

As soon as my friend said "mustache t-shirt craft party", I went straight to making stencils.
I've never experimented with stencils before, so this was a whole new ballgame.
I searched around for the perfect material. I settled on thin cardboard. Regular printer paper is too thin and warps, and thick cardboard can make it difficult to reach corners and such when painting. Thin cardboard or card stock does the trick.

Now to make the mustache shape, you have two options: print out some mustache shapes or create your own. I looked up images to get some ideas to create my own.

To make your own, find a scrap sheet of paper. Fold it in half and draw out one side of the mustache. Cut it out, and voila! You have a symmetrical mustache.

Grab your cardboard and place where you'd like your mustache cutout to be. Trace it and use an x-acto knife to cut.
Cut out a variety of mustache shapes. Place them on your cardboard, trace, and cut.

Being that I've never created a stencil before, I didn't know if it was necessary to add some sort of finish. I wanted to make it a little stiffer, so I added a layer of Mod Podge to each side of each stencil. After that dried, I sprayed a layer of Krylon Clear Glaze to add a nice finish. (After doing so, I found that Mod Podge and glaze surely wasn't necessary. It added a nice finishing touch, but I wouldn't recommend wasting time using them. Trial and learning!)
After cutting them all out, there you have it! A mustache stencil.

I also found that working in a large group, having multiple shapes in one cardboard sheet isn't always effective, as everyone is sharing. But if it's just for you, place as many as you'd like on one sheet.

After finishing up the stencils, I took them for a test run. They worked fabulously!
I made a few galaxy-like shirts. And yes, a mustache galaxy tee!

Try it out and have fun!

Leave a Reply