Drooling Over Surf Green

It all started when I was doing some harmless Google-ing this morning and I came across this photo of Tina Weymouth from Talking Heads - I wanted to cry.


(source.)

I instantly fell in love with her bass. I HAD to figure out what it was. After painful Google-ing, I discovered it was a Carlo Robelli Beatle Surf Green Bass. I needed to know more. There are no photos of it in Google, no website selling one - pretty much no traces of it anywhere. Only few message boards spoke of it saying it was a "cheap brand", which, I admit, sorta turned me off.
I decided to type in "surf green bass" into Google to see other options, and I entered a magical world.

I started playing guitar when I was 12. It was around the time my older brother started playing, and I wanted to join him for jam sessions. My first purchase was a crappy burgundy Yamaha bass that I bought for cheap - you have to start cheap in the beginning. I borrowed my brother's guitar up until the point where I finally invested in my own. I bought the most beautiful Schecter Diamond Series S-1 Elite Black Cherry Guitar, which I will always cherish.

While browsing some more, I came across guitars that caught my attention - not that I would ever replace my Schecter, but they're pretty to look at.


(Charvel Surfcaster C8657 + Chandler Guitar)

Then I came across this beauty. I want to cry even more looking at this one. It's perfect.
It's a G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow Belair Green bass, and I want it now. I wish.


(source.)

All this talk of guitars and basses is making me miss playing music, not that I was any good. But it's all about practicing. I just wish I had the time. Sigh.
I guess I could make it a goal to start playing more, which will make a new bass worth it. When that happens, I'll make sure to make the best investment of my life.

5 Comments

  1. I found your site looking for another picture of "my" bass. Keep your eyes open, it's really a nice one - easy to play and carry, nice low end (I have flatwounds on mine).

    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-JdyM1Zyuii4/S9R5UHjDauI/AAAAAAAABSk/NfXWXvROW3M/s988/CIMG1713.JPG

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems almost impossible to find one, but I'll surely keep a look out. I hope I can somehow come across one in the near future.
    Thanks for the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maria,
    Check ebay!

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carlo-Robelli-Hofner-Copy-Beatle-Bass-In-Rare-Surf-Green-/230882766825?pt=Guitar&hash=item35c1af6fe9#viTabs_0

    Looks like it's in good shape (still has the packing foam under the bridge - weird).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got the same Robelli violin bass, in black. I used it to record the theme song to the "WTF With Marc Maron" podcast. And you're right, there's no info on it anywhere!! Your blog was the first place I've seen it mentioned. That surf green is pretty badass. Thanx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got the same Robelli violin bass, in black. I used it to record the theme song to the "WTF With Marc Maron" podcast. And you're right, there's no info on it anywhere!! Your blog was the first place I've seen it mentioned. That surf green is pretty badass. Thanx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete