Recipe // Fried Mac & Cheese Balls

Before I start this post about delicious goodness, I'm proud to say that this post is my 100th post! I'm proud of myself for sticking to this blog. And although it hasn't quite developed into what I'd hope it'd be, I know I'm getting there and things will start falling into place. As long as I stick with it, I know I'll reach where I'd like to be.

Alright, getting back on track, here's an idea of what you can possibly make with your leftover mac and cheese! Lately, I've been noticing a lot of restaurants catching onto the fried mac and cheese trend, and I'm loving it. Maybe fried food is not the frequent route to take, but once in a while it's totally okay to enjoy the hell out of it.

Yesterday morning, all of a sudden, the urge to make fried mac and cheese balls came about. I knew I had to browse around for recipes on Google. I came across this recipe, printed it out, and began.

I came across a few difficult points along the way with things not working out the way I planned. But the more you try it out, the better the results become.

Ingredients:
2 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp flour
3/4 cup half & half
1 packed cup of leftover mac & cheese
This can all vary according to how much mac & cheese you want to fry. This recipe makes about 8 balls.

*This sauce is mixed with the mac & cheese before frying.
01. Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Add the flour and stir until the mixture is bubbling.
02. Remove the pan from the heat. Then slowly whisk in the half & half until it is fully mixed and there are no lumps.
03. Return the pan to a medium-low heat and use a silicone spatula to continuously scrape the bottom of the pan to prevent burning.
04. When the sauce is thick and bubbling, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the mac and cheese. Stir to fully combine.
05. Cool to room temperature, then pack up the mixture and keep in the fridge until it's hardened. Give it enough time to harden, so plan your day accordingly.

When it's all good to go, take out the mac and cheese. Use a spoon to scoop out approximately 1 1/2" ball, and roll it between your hands to make it round.

Next, add about 2 inches of oil into a heavy bottomed pot. Turn the heat on medium high and wait for the oil to heat up.

In the meantime, gather ingredients to coat the mac and cheese balls.
1/2 cup flour
1 beaten egg
1 cup bread crumbs
Set them up in their own bowls. Roll each ball into the flour, followed by the egg, and lastly in the bread crumbs. Make sure enough egg coats each ball to help the bread crumbs stick.

Fry each ball until golden brown and crisp. Place the finished ones on a paper towel covered rack or plate to cool.

When they cool, they're all good to go! Feel free to try them out with some tomato sauce and grated cheese. It comes out delicious. What a great and easy recipe. I'll admit, not bad for my first time attempting these.

Leave a Reply