Flashback Friday // 023

Browsing through my computer, I found files to a contest I participated in back in February. My family friend passed this contest along to me for the annual Crab, Seafood, & Wine festival in Astoria, OR. The contest called for a new 'logo' to print on posters, shirts, etc.

I came up with two designs on Illustrator. I made it somewhat typical with the wine glass in the center with a ribbon. But around that time was when I started experimenting with patterns, and so I made the background a repeat of shrimp, clams, and a crab that stands out.

I wanted to scrap the first one, but kept it since we were allowed to submit more than one design. I created a second mocking a poster. I repeated the same pattern in the background, but took out the crab and replaced it with a glass of wine.

My preference was the second of course, but unfortunately I didn't win the contest. I don't recall seeing them post the winning design, so I don't know what happened with that contest.
It was still good for me to participate in something like that. I need to do more contests. These days, that seems to be the only way to get me to illustrate something. BRB, need to go find some contests.

Leave a Reply