Return Of Saturn Sneakers

Here's a #tbt post! I was doing major packing over the weekend and had to filter through my shoes to decide what to take (~so many shoes~). As I was opening up shoe boxes and clearing spaces out, I stumbled upon these sneakers I made back in college, I think more specifically during freshman year.

I think I've mentioned before that I was a big No Doubt fan? Yep, since I was 10 - super big fan. I was so psyched when they came back from hiatus in 2009. I saw them perform live at the Today Show, which was their first live performance phasing out of their hiatus. It was interesting as my friend and I were on line like crazies the night before the show to somewhat guarantee we'd get a decent spot near the stage. So many stories from that night; it was quite an experience.

Around that time, I listened to their backlog way too much. Return Of Saturn is my favorite ND album. To show my excitement when they came back, I had lots of crafty No Doubt nights.

I went sneaker shopping at Kmart. I wanted sneakers with a lot of surface area, so I found these strange sneakers in the little boys section (I was going through a weird transition in college. I didn't know how to dress and/or shop). I am a fan of Tulip fabric paint, so I used colors from their album cover to paint Saturn on the sides of the sneakers.

The pair also had the brand logo on the velcro flaps. It was strange, and I didn't like it. I manage to roughly sew black fabric on top of them to cover it up. I meant to sew the fabric to use it as a base to paint more onto the sneakers, but I'm happy I never ended up doing that. I think I wanted to paint the band's logo, but it would have been overkill. I think it's cool with just the saturns on the sides.

Thinking back to these days crack me up. It was definitely a weird time in my life. But these sneakers are weird in a cool way, I think. I don't plan on bringing them to Portland with me right away, but I do plan on packing them when I come home next time around.

Leave a Reply