Crafted // Lips Shirt

The other day, I shared a post about screenprinting at home. I made my own little screen out of an embroidery hoop, synthetic woven material, and Mod Podge.
I made a shirt full of lips.

I got this design idea from a dress Tavi Gevinson wore. I have a bit of a fascination/obsession with Tavi and everything she does. At such a young age she's accomplished so much changing the lives of so many girls, and she does it with such a cool sense of style.
I just really wanted to recreate this.

I found a light colored t-shirt and laid it out on top of newspaper. A neat and clean workspace is important! As well as putting newspaper inside the shirt so the paint doesn't seep through to the back.

I used my screen to paint the red lips on the whole shirt using red screenprinting Speedball paint.

Afterwards I simply made the lines of the mouth with a small paintbrush and black Speedball screenprinting paint. I did a little bit of shading, but mostly kept it simple. I wanted each mouth to look different and unique.

I kept going, painted the lips throughout the entire shirt: the front, back, and sleeves.
Does take a little bit of time to paint along the whole shirt because the painted bits have to lay flat and dry. But it makes for a cool shirt indeed.

Leave a Reply