Crafted // Patchy Tops

These are some tops I worked on during spring break - obviously had to keep myself sane by working on things I enjoy while working on projects that had to be done.

01. This was a hand-me-down from my mom. She had two velvet long sleeved shirts she gave me. This one fit more loosely and I thought it would be more comfortable if I took it in. Besides that, I kind of wanted to do something fun to it. I bounced around different ideas in my head and then came to the conclusion of turning it into a tuxedo-like shirt. I've seen some around and I wanted my own. Plus, it looks nice on a velvet shirt. Cut out the black fabric, sewed it on, and added buttons and a blue bow.
02. This was a spontaneous shirt I decorated. I went through my fabric-scrap draw to find some material I needed for a school project. When searching through the draw, I saw these scraps and thought they were a pretty color combination. I found a plain gray t-shirt, turned it into a v-neck, and sewed on the patches. Looks like a strange geometrical planet to me.
03. This originally was a long sleeved wool shirt. This shirt was so annoying. I had it for a while but never touched it. Then I decided that it was too big, so I took it in. Then it looked unproportional because I didn't take the sleeved in and they looked too large for the shirt. I didn't care and added these floral patches to it. I wore it probably once, and it really looked awkward. During break it occurred to me that I didn't have any vests. This shirt popped up in my head for some reason and I thought to turn it into a vest. I used the same floral patches and turned them into triangles. I think it came out pretty successful.

As weeks pass, I slowly become more happy with my wardrobe. I've really literally been making it my own, and I'm becoming more comfortable with my style. My confidence grows a little more everytime I wear something that I fixed up for made from scratch. What a wonderful feeling that is!

Anyway, it's a Kevin Shields sort of day.

Leave a Reply