The Lion & The Mouse

I meant to post about this last week, but never did!
For my general illustration class, we were to choose an Aesop fable and illustration one part of the story. I chose The Lion & The Mouse, the one where the lion gets trapped in the net and the mouse saves him, you know which one I'm talking about? Yeah, that one. (I mentioned it while it was in the beginning stages in this post)
We were given lots of freedom to take this where we want, but we had to create it in a way where you don't lose the story, of course.

My final result was the climax where the lion goes to save the mouse. I turned my mouse into a 'mission impossible' mouse.

I used a piece of wood as my base. Layers of cardboard make up the rest.
I decoupaged the background with pieces of different blue magazine scraps, and painted a thin layer of blue acrylic to make it a little uniform. I painted the lion, mouse, and tree with watercolor, and evened it out with colored pencil on top. I also used black ink for the solid parts on the animals. I glued fuzzy fabric on the lion, and fun fabric on the leaves of the tree. Glued on black thread for the net (took forever to do that bit!). And Youtubed a tutorial on how to make the pull tab. Surprisingly wasn't that difficult to do.

Here's an animation I made of the mouse moving!
(It's been a few years since I made an animation on Photoshop, so this looks a little rough.)

Fun times! I got a good reaction from my classmates, so I would say this project is a WIN.

I bought my THAT DOG tickets online today, so here's another video. I'm still so psyched!

Leave a Reply