Flashback Friday // 006

Two years ago I finally finished this Robert Smith piece. When I finished high school, I was given canvases and paints by friends and relatives. I never knew when I'd get around to using them, especially since I was living in the dorms and focusing on my major which was NOT art related. So they sat around.
Oneday I started experimenting with collage and decoupage, and came up with an idea. I was inspired by the cover for The Cure's greatest hits album.

I collected magazine pages with dark blues, decoupaged them onto the canvas, and covered a light coat of blue paint to blend in the different blue shades. I drew out Robert Smith's hand and colored with colored pencils. After that was done, I collected black magazine scraps and pieced together a silhouette of Robert Smith. I glued on the hands, cut out stars, and glued them on followed by the string. After it was all done and drying, I wrote the quote from The Cure's song The Dream with fabric paint.

I remember finishing this up on New Years Eve while waiting for the ball to drop. I was watching Eternal Sunchine Of The Spotless Mind with my brother. We had to put it on pause two minutes before midnight. And then it was 2010.
I love how this came out. It currently hangs in the living room.

Here's a Cure song to end the post. One of my favorites :)

Leave a Reply