Ghost World Love

So, I've spoken about my love for Twin Peaks already. I guess it's time to talk about my love for Ghost World?

I tend to get nostalgic quite often. When I was finishing up a project that's due this week, I had some time to spare. I browsed through old art I did during my first year in illustration.
For this painting class I took, we were asked to create a movie poster, which is a quite a popular assignment, but no longer a need in the movie business since the rise of technology. It's all about hi-quality photos and Photoshop - it's actually quite rare to see illustrated movie posters nowadays. But nonetheless, professors like assigning illustrated movie posters. For this class, it was our choice. I chose Ghost World.

Whenever I'm feeling down, a crafty project + a favorite movie always cheers me up. I know I'm not the only one that rewatches favorite movies to get rid of those nasty blues. My "rewatch movies" are Lost In Translation, Ghost World, Cherish, and Stranger Than Fiction - probably in that order.
I've seen Ghost World I don't know how many times, but I never get sick of it. I guess it's one of those movies I really connect with. I also did go through an "Enid" stage. Yep, t-shirt, skirts, and boots.
I will never stop loving this movie.

My professor asked us to create a color composition to finalize the layout and color choices. He wanted three scenes, one overall warm colors, one with cool colors, and one in between. He approved of everything I chose, although I didn't quite follow the color guidelines. I guess he let me get away with that, hah.

Here's the "finished". It's not quite finished as I plan on revisiting it oneday to fix it up. There are a few spots that really need more work. It's just the time dilemma. It's not exactly on my priorities list, but it's on my list of "artwork that needs finishing". Also, if it comes out decent in the end, I'd like to paint in the title at the top, and maybe hang it on my wall. But that's if I ever finish it.

I wish I had the time to fix up all my old school assignments. Some of them were quite a horror! Can't believe I did some of those awful works. But that's all in the past. I can only improve from here.

Leave a Reply