Monster Box

After finally reviewing my final grades for the semester, I remember I posted a little bit about my monster box a while ago. It was in the beginning stage at the time, but now that's it's all done, I'll share it with the world!

It was a fun arts and crafts project that we rarely get in our illustration program. Can't really speak for the rest of my classmates, but getting an assignment like this was a relief and a fun break from what we're usually assigned.

The point of the box is to be used for a kind of self promotion while having something inside the box that can be used - all following a certain kind of theme or illustration you make.
Our particular assignment was to choose one of the five senses. I chose taste.

I created a little monster chasing around a guy. He's so hungry that he eats the dude.

Being that the box itself is the monster, the item inside is the monster's tongue. I sewed up the tongue made of stuffed red fabric and added a snap at the end where you can snap it to the inside of the mouth, which keeps the tongue in place. At the end of the tongue I made a little charm of the man.
It's wearable as a bracelet. A tongue bracelet.

The box is small, around 1.5 inches tall and 2.5 inches wide. I used pieces of the box to make the teeth, painted everything in acrylic, colored the illustrations with colored pencil and marker, made the tongue out of fabric, and the charm out of cardboard and acrylic.
I love working with mixed media.

And of course my song of the moment, Princess Chelsea! This song is a good humming song. I'm humming it at the moment.

Leave a Reply