Flashback Friday // 024

Months back, I took a sewing job for a client.
I was asked to take a white t-shirt and replace the sleeves with black velvet as well as sewing half a logo with the same black velvet. I knew it'd be a challenge but I wanted to give it a try.

He sent me a file, in which I printed true to size (I was running out of ink as you can see), and cut the outside and letters on the inside with an X-acto knife. Pinned it to the fabric and cut out the fabric the same way.
Took a while to figure out the exact placement being that this piece had to stay off center. Eventually felt confident and pinned it down.

Sewing it down was tough because velvet frays. I can't tell you how messy my work area was. It was real bad.
I found a stitch that worked with what I needed to cover up the edges, but unfortunately the fabric kinda shifted a bit, so it isn't as perfect as I hoped it'd be.

I sewed the sleeves on as well, and took the shirt to work to print the rest of the logo in vinyl, as it would have been real rough to sew the thin pieces out of velvet.
As rough as it was to sew the velvet on, the end result looks cool. Velvet is awesome.

Leave a Reply