Art Portfolio Redo

About two weeks ago I started getting emails about my portfolio domain needing renewing. The year is almost up! (Here was my first post about it back in December.)
I spoke to my friend about some advice about what to do as I did consider transferring to Squarespace. These days I don't have enough time to code a new website, especially having to keep in mind making something mobile friendly and simple, I ain't got time for that. He directed me to Fatcow and helped me with what steps to take.

Transfering the domain was frustrating, mostly in the sense that it took a lot longer than I hoped it would. I was just anxious to get the new layout up.
Finally the transfer went through and I downloaded Wordpress as my main editing tool. I found a theme and tweaked it. I was able to get it all done in one day (yesterday!). Didn't think to take a screenshot of the before layout because I rushed straight into the revamp, but this is my new website layout!

I read a bunch of articles about what makes successful portfolio websites.
One thing to keep in mind is to have your artwork available right away. There is a few second attention span for potential employers. Your art has to be immediately viewable because people don't want to be clicking through your site searching for content. That was my mistake; my first site had too many pages to have to click through to find my art. I found this grid theme that is organized perfectly for what I wanted. Bam, the art is immediately there.
The second is that sometimes you need to really filter through what you share. I have a problem letting go some old work, as I'm sure a lot of other people do too. When I reuploaded my artwork, I had to really pick and choose. Some work didn't live up to other ones and I just had to let it go. When you feeling a little 'eh' about something even though it holds a special place in your heart, it's probably a sign you should move on. After filtering I feel like I picked a solid selection. It's a satisfying feeling.

I also tried the strawberry Pocky and I really found heaven. They're delicious and a nice treat to eat during coding time. If you haven't tried the strawberry Pocky, go find it now.

Leave a Reply