Mentor // Patterns

I've been all about patterns last semester. Taking that wallpaper pattern class really changed things for me. I'm still getting the hang of making patterns, but I've been all about mixing illustration and pattern making.
I've spoken about a Mentor class we had to take. Well, the class spanned two semesters, but with different professors and different mentors. The first class was really successful communicating with my mentor. Second time around, not so much. We barely kept in touch and sort of disagreed on some bits of my project, which I'll talk about in my next post. This project sort of separated into two parts for me.

Anyway, I went on with my own thing. I think it's pretty noticeable that I'm influenced by pop culture and a lot of my art shows it. I continued with that for this project. I wanted to make patterns based on songs relating to nautical sort of things which would be intended for apparel use.

The first two images are based on one of my favorite bands, The Raveonettes. The song is Black Satin. I created my image and found a t-shirt template to see what the repeat would look like.

When I sketched out my idea, I drew it in line. I played around a lot in Illustrator and got a lot of textures but wanted to try out a more simple line work too. I ended up liking both so I included them both in my final project.

This pattern was based on The Waves by Tamaryn. Repeated, I liked how it came out like a strange checkerboard pattern.

I was interested in getting them printed onto fabric. A friend told me about the greatness that is Spoonflower. After researching, I went ahead and ordered all three. They came out really cool and I'm currently experimenting with ways of cutting and sewing them into cool shirts and whatnot. Spoonflower is a site I will definitely be ordering more from in the future.

So here's that Raveonettes song I love so much.

Leave a Reply