Mentor // Graphics

As I mentioned in the previous post, this project was a two parter.
We basically had to assign a project to ourselves and find a working illustrator to be our 'mentor' through the semester. I knew what I wanted to do, but I admit I may have changed the project, or maybe more like narrowed it down to a specific idea. I had some disagreements with my mentor. I saw it as an issue of 'originality'. Now let me say I do believe there is some originality left out there, but I think most of what everyone does is influenced by other people. It's hard to be original. As much as I would like to think of my work as original, I like basing my work on pop culture references. I'm not trying to be original. I like referencing things I know and love as my expression of what I like; basically paying homages to things that make up what I like.

That being said, the three patterns I made were based on songs I like. After interning at a screenprinting shop, I've been all about making images intended for apparel. I created this graphic that was inspired/based on Rock Lobster by the B-52s. I've been about nautical/deep sea divers for a while, so I of course carried it through to this project.

My mentor didn't really seem to like the direction I was going in with this project and believed in taking another route where I didn't use another piece of work as a reference. We lost touch, so I went ahead with the project. This kind of art and reference is my thing, and as much as I wanted to do something more abstract, I had more fun doing it this way instead.

I created a shirt out of scrap fabric I had, and got it printed at my internship.

My professor and my friends loved it (I printed this image onto shirts for a couple of friends, they loved it so much). So as much as originality would be fun to try and work towards, I didn't want to go in that direction and found this to be successful. And it's more me anyway.

I'm pretty sure I posted this video once before, but I'm going to do it again anyway. Here's the B-52s.

Leave a Reply