The Sun & Moon

My schedule has been a bit rough this semester. I find myself with little time to post during the week, starting random projects for myself during the weekend leaving them lingering unfinished, and homework assignments are put on priority... It's just been a bit crazy.
Between school, my internship, and my trip in January, there were a few things I wanted to post about but never got around to. So I figured as I'm finishing up current projects, I'll share what I meant to share much earlier than now.

•••

Senior year of the BFA for Illustration, there's a required class in which we have to find a 'mentor' - a working illustrator that assigns us a project and is there to see it through to the end. There are a couple of exchanges in communication in which we send them ideas, sketches, work-in progress photos, and a finished piece. Can be either in person or through e-mail.
Through the internet, I found Ola Volo - an illustrator from Vancouver. I loved her details and pattern work in her art, and so I wanted to work with her. She found time in her busy schedule to help me, and we even met in person while she was in NY! She assigned me a portrait series - two portraits to be exact. Didn't have to be anyone specific, and it didn't have to be literal portraits, which I liked.

After a few sketches and exchange in ideas, I came up with a sun and moon portrait idea. Opposites: night and day.
I wanted to work larger than usual, and I wanted wood again. I painted the background in acrylic (yes I used glitter!), and worked on paper with colored pencils and glued it all down.

I only was able to photograph one really well. I still have yet to photograph and edit the second, but I plan on doing so real soon to get it up on my portfolio site with the first.

I was influenced by Helen Marnie from Ladytron. I remember getting e-mail updates about her recording her solo album through kickstarter at the time. If you can see it, the sun portrait somewhat resembles her…hmm.

Leave a Reply