DIY // Simple Vinyl Record Sleeve

I got a record player for Christmas and I've become all about collecting records. I've even gone through my parents record collection and "borrowed" quite a number of them. I've noticed that they own a lot of 7" records that have no sleeves. It makes me feel a little uneasy leaving them hanging like that, so I made a record sleeve for the 7" Chicago record I "borrowed".

I wasn't sure of what I wanted to make the sleeve out of, so I went through my recycling bin and found a cereal box (I find super thin cardboard like that is perfect) which fit the dimensions I needed. The other supplies are pretty standard: ruler, scissor, pencil, tape.

I measured everything out and left the length a little bit longer than the width.

Depending on the size cardboard you find, you may have to play around with dimensions. I found that 7 inches wide is of course a tight squeeze for the 7 inch vinyl (oops). To fix that mistake, I cut strips of paper that loosely hugged the edges, and taped around the sides to leave a little extra room for the vinyl to slide in and out comfortably.

I used masking tape, but didn't want that to be visible, so I used fun washi tape to cover up the masking tape.

The graphics on the inside of the cereal box left a fun effect, but I still wanted to make a little label. So I roughly drew the Chicago logo and blocked it in with pen. I drew squiggles with marker, and taped it up with more washi tape.

And so, here's one of my favorite Chicago songs.

Leave a Reply