Flashback Friday // 017

This project started last semester when my professor told us that we needed to put together a physical portfolio. Knowing me and my cheap crafty ways, I started planning on how I could possible construct it.

I had the whole semester to plan it as it was due the second to last week of classes.
From the self taught knowledge of bookbinding, I gathered my usual materials consisting of cardboard, fabric, glue, thread and needle, yarn, and a few other fun things here and there.

I first went shopping for clear portfolio pages in which I measured my cardboard covers according to that. I glued fabric around it, put together the spine. After that I glued down pieces of fabric to cover the insides, as well as adding pockets for business-y things. I also thought a fun touch was adding a snap to have the portfolio close nicely.
I honestly had difficulty figuring out how to add the pages, but figured out a way that would work to keep the option open to add or subtract pages.

The end result was successful as I found a way to make it all work.
When Christmas rolled around, my mom wanted me to put together a photo album for my grandma. I thought it'd be a nice gift to put one together for her and fill it with photos. Of course, first we went shopping for photo album pages so we can judge how big to make it.

I found some scrap cardboard, which I had used for a backing of one of my illustration projects back in first semester. That project was garbage so I had no problem taking it apart. I took the cardboard off and peeled whatever green construction paper I could get off. I glued fabric around it and found an old binder that I took apart to use the rings.

After everything was glued and dried, I made little flap for a snap (rhymes!). I then used fabric to cover up the inside to make it look clean. I followed some same methods as the portfolio, and tried different methods to modify what didn't work. Overall, this came out good! A little flimsy because of the cardboard used. But all good!

My last semester ever I finally got around to taking a bookbinding class. I love what I'm learning and I can't wait to make things on more of a professional level now that I'm learning the proper methods with proper tools!

Leave a Reply