Binded Photo Album

I realized I posted earlier this month about a photo album I made last year, but I wanted to share this new book I made. It's very different from the other photo album.
I learned how to make this book in the bookbinding class I'm taking this semester. We had a midterm assignment to make a book and fill it with content. When it was assigned, I immediately thought to fill it up with photos that I planned on taking during my Portland trip. I bought disposable cameras and got them developed.

I didn't want to make the book too large so I settled on 10 spreads/20 pages. I planned on inserting 20 photos, so I measured the pages to fit a little larger than standard printed photo proportion. After measuring and scoring the pages, I measured out the cover, which this book was made to wrap around a few times. I couldn't find a decorative piece of paper long enough, so I used my washi tape to connect the piece. This sort of binding has the pages sewn to the cover. So I used clip to keep the pages together while sewing.
It's a super easy book to make.

I ended up buying more washi tape while I was in Portland, so I picked twenty good photos from the batch I got developed, and taped in two opposing corners.

When I got back home, I sliced the pages behind the corners not taped and slipped in the loose corners to fully constrain them and to get the feel of a photo album.

Besides the two disposable cameras I got developed, I have 3 more disposables, 2 110 film rolls, and a half filled disposable camera and 110 roll. I brought my Lomo Diana Mini with me but had such problems getting the wheel to advance the film, so I gave up and bought disposable cameras.
My plan within the next few weeks is to get everything developed and make more photo albums like this. I really love how this book came out!

Leave a Reply