Canvas Palmistry Art

Sometime last month I mentioned this canvas art experimentation project I was working on.
Well, it's all finished finally and here's the result! I made palmistry inspired canvas art using my paper mache method.

Usually for paper mache projects, I like using a blender to get my scrap paper to a pulp-like consistency. I'm unfortunately not living with a blender at the moment, so I had to figure out another way to make it work. So I soaked my shredded paper scraps in a container of water overnight.
After I molded the hands using the soaked shredded paper and a towel to soak up the excess water, I let them sit on a dry towel to dry for a few days. When they were all dry, I used dry paper scraps to decoupage and smooth out the hands.

After experimenting with both methods with the soaked paper, I think I prefer the blender process better because the pulp stays together, as the process I tried this time around didn't work as successfully. But I made it work.

I got inspired from this pattern I made a few months ago and wanted to build something off of it. I took some of those elements and placed them on the hands along with other elements I researched.

I painted a base coat for two out of the three hands, and painted the elements by hand. I had a couple of variations drawn on paper and once I found a design that worked, I followed the design when painting everything.

To finish it off, I poked two holes at the top and molded wire to make them ready to hang.

It seems like a complicated process, but it's pretty easy. Just time consuming. It is pretty easy to lose patience around some parts of the process though, which is why I take so long to finish these sometimes, but the end result is always exciting.

All three are up for sale on my Storenvy shop. As I always say, I may make more if these sell. They're fun to make, and they're completely made up of recycled items, as is all my canvas art up for sale.

Leave a Reply