Crafted // Geisha Girl

I think I made it clear how much I love Spoonflower. This website has given me such freedom to do what I want and I love it. Last semester I started playing around with a design that I decided to get printed, in which I cut and sewed into a fun t-shirt.

I recycle a lot, especially clothes I have in my closet. "Upcycling" is what they call it, and I do it all the time. I went through my closet and grabbed navy t-shirts I don't wear anymore. I had an idea of what I wanted my shirt to look like, so I went with it - graphic fabric in the front and navy back and sleeves is how I imagined it.

I grabbed a t-shirt from my closet that I found fits me well. I traced the fabric to imitate the fit. That's how I roll.
I also found that I didn't have a big enough piece of navy to fit the entire backing. Lately I've been all about not wasting scrap, so I cut and fit pieces together like a puzzle and sewed it nice and secure. That's how I handled the backing of the shirt.

Digging through my fabric scraps, I found a collar piece that I sewed on as well as the sleeves.

I sewed up the hems and sewed the insides to prevent fraying. For years and years I've been sewing everything by hand. For Christmas I got a sewing machine, and these days I find it annoying to hand sew. I find my progression fascinating and how I no longer have much patience to hand sew. Technology really does help save time and I just wanted to share my relief that things can be much easier if you sometimes give into technology. I've been so anti sewing machine for the longest time.
Anyway, this shirt was sewn on my machine. I'm happy that I have my machine because it really makes starting and finishing projects an actual thing. I'm happy to be finishing projects.

I'm considering making these for my store. I just have to figure things out first. Should be fun to do. I love the design

Leave a Reply