Pretty In Pink ~ In Kyoto

One project I was assigned last semester was to take a preexisting movie and give it a makeover, as if it was to be redone today. We were allowed to change anything we wanted to. My head immediately went to Pretty In Pink. I wanted to go wild with the pink, add cherry blossoms, and make the setting in Japan.

After doing some research, I chose Kyoto. My version of Andie would be Japanese, of course. I designed her with pink hair, a pink blazer, a black bowl hat, and somewhat of traditional Japanese school gear.
I put together a character turnaround for both outfits.

It was a two part assignment, so aside from character redesign, I chose to create a mini set design. Since Andie's style is so important in the movie, I thought remaking my Andie's room was the way to go.
I built it with cardboard, painted the walls pink, and chose one wall to paint cherry blossoms.

I made a "transparent" window with window seats. I sewed pink cushions. I was all about my hot glue gun for this assignment.

It was a little nervewracking to start creating the furniture along with everything else. I was afraid to ruin proportions. After more research, I jumped right into it. I sewed together a bed with pillows, and made the bed frame out of cardboard. I put together a nightstand and desk and chair with more cardboard. To finish, I made a sliding door.

I went to town with this project, and tried to make it as believable as possible. It was exciting bringing my crafty skills to an illustration assignment. I like it!

Leave a Reply