Love Is ... Infinite

I'd like to think I'm slowly getting my creative mojo back. I'm really grateful for these classes I'm taking because they're giving me a reason to be creative. (I'm telling you, if I wasn't enrolled, I would be sitting around all day watching tv shows on my computer trying to find the energy to unpack, all while job searching and feeling sorry for myself. Probably would feel the same as I did in Portland.)

Anyway, enough of the sad talk. For my basic graphic design class, with Valentine's day being a couple of days ago, our professor told us to take the shape of a heart and place it in some environment that represents love. It can be drawn, photographed, sculpted, etc. The basic idea has to be "Love is...". This was a three part project. My first part: Love is infinite.

I really wanted to find a way to use an embroidery hoop. Browsing the internet, I came across some embroidery art that inspired me to do a galaxy piece. I found cool embroidery art from this Etsy shop What. No Mints?

I realized they used french stitching but I wanted to use beads. I had recently organized my beads into new containers and I was excited to use them!

I started out by creating a heart with various sizes of beads. Then I just continued building around the heart to make it look galaxy like. I made some areas clustered and others spaced out (pun?). The tricky part was to just be able to make the heart stand out.

I always get confuzzled on how to handle the backing. I cut off the excess and decided to use PVA glue to glue down the excess to the inner hoop. I had my handy dandy clothespins to hold the fabric down as I glued.
(I also get a kick out of seeing the backs of embroidery pieces because it shows the process. It's just so jagged and raw as opposed to the front which is the clean finished product.)

So that's the finished product. Love is infinite.
And my love for galaxies is infinite.

I'll be posting my other two parts within the next two days!

Leave a Reply