#ChalkFIT

For those who don't know, I attend FIT (The Fashion Institute of Technology in NYC) for Illustration. Earlier this week, we Illustration students participated in a cool event that a professor of ours created. He's a new faculty member and he's doing so much for us and our program, which all us students are super appreciative for.

For a few weeks now, we senior class have been planning designs to do chalk art on the panels outside of our school to promote Homecoming as well as our Illustration program.

I'll be honest, I was dreading it. I hate people watching me as I do my thing, but when the day rolled around, it was actually exciting. Our school security roped off the area so students could work without being too distracted by passerbys.
As the day progressed, we all made headway and our nervous and anxious feelings disappeared.

It was interesting to see the kind of folk that passed by while we were working for 8+ hours outside on a busy street. We had plenty of people ask about the event, the chalk and materials, and directions from tourists. There were some creepy moments, and other hilarious ones.

We got dirty, extremely dirty, but it was all worth it. Working out in the cold for so many hours did us good by placing us in a situation we never thought we'd be in and enjoy so much in the end. I actually kind of miss that feeling of working out in the open and conversing with people who stopped to observe and compliment us all.

Aside from those passerbys, I was interviewed twice (which I embedded at the bottom of the post).

Overall, it was a great experience and great exposure on everyone's part. I can't wait to participate in future events that will be as much fun as this.

Here's that video I mentioned. I was interviewed by a Chinese station, I wish I took down their information, or at least understood the language to figure out what they're saying!

You can find more photos in Instagram and Facebook under the hashtag #ChalkFIT. Everyone did such a wonderful job!

Leave a Reply