Birthday Trip To The Moon

First of all, how is the new layout? I've been wanting to change it for some time. I missed the simple post layout with a constant reading flow; got a little tired of seeing the thumbnail to 'read more'. Took me some time to find a new layout and jazz it up. But I think I finally got it.

Anywho, my first project for one of my classes this semester was to create an image that represents "adventure". I wanted to do a space scene. I sketched out a couple of ideas and thought to do my version of a "Trip To The Moon" - two friends taking a trip to the moon to celebrate a birthday.

I inked out the earth which I used mosaics as inspiration.

I colored it in - watercolor and colored pencil.

I decided to do it on wood. I painted it black with chalkboard paint. I glued the earth down and then created my rocket ship and moon, and splatter painted the galaxy bit.

The majority of the subjects were watercolor and colored pencil. I made it a super duper mixed media piece; I incorporated thread to represent the fire coming out of the rocket, and thread and magazine scraps to create the flag decoration wrapping around the moon.

My professor showed us the Georges Méliès film last semester and I guess it just stuck with me. Here's the colored and rescored version featuring Air in the soundtrack.

Leave a Reply