Type & Logo

Typography has always been an interest of mine. I used to draw/copy band logos, make my own type, draw type on shirts, yadda yadda. My friends think it's one of my specialties. As much as I see how much they believe so, I surely don't agree because the world of typography is so precise, detailed, and complicated. But those facts won't stop my interest in type from growing.

I just finished my second week of classes. This semester is already underway, and I have to admit I'm excited. For this workshop class I'm taking, we were assigned to make and develop our own logo throughout the semester. Where do you even start with your own logo? Sometimes you just have to go with your gut and just make the first thing that comes to mind. I created a line drawing of my cat eye glasses and originally added a zigzag on top of my glasses to "represent" my bangs. After some tweaks, I made those zigzags spell out "mars".

Straights and curves make up lines, and those lines make sketches and drawings, graphics, typography, etc. Typography is graphic; graphics make up typography. It's astonishing, really.
A while ago I came across this quiz: What Type Are You.
My result was Universal, with characteristics of rational, understated, progressive, and relaxed.

I dig it.

After some web browsing today, I came across some typography websites and this cool type video. Enjoy.

Alphabet in motion - Barcenova type from Cecilia Brarda on Vimeo.

Leave a Reply