DIY // Galaxy Shoes

Here's a fun little DIY-like tutorial I decided to share on how to make galaxy shoes. I borrowed the idea from a friend, and wanted to try it myself.

These are the supplies I used: a sponge brush, masking tape, clean palette, & fabric paint. I use Tulip brand fabric paint.

Find a pair of shoes you'd like to paint. I used these white sneakers I bought for cheap at a thrift store.
Take the laces out and tape up the sections you don't want to paint.

Set up a neat workspace - lay out newspapers! Feel free to watch a movie at the same too!
Squeeze out a bit of each color onto the palette, and start painting.
I find that the fabric paint works well without the need of a base coat. I started by dabbing the sponge into the black, brushing a section of the shoe, dabbing the sponge into another color, and brushing off the part I started painting black. That way you get a nice blend of the colors.

Follow through with that method throughout the whole shoe. When you paint all that you want to paint, go over some colored spots with more paint to make it brighter. If you find you have extra paint in your palette, paint your laces!
When you're finished, let it dry.
For the stars, I found that using a toothpick worked best. Paint tiny dots throughout. Remember to create some clusters of dots and keep other dots more spread out. It makes it look more galaxy-like. Paint some bigger dots and some crosshairs for stars.

After it's all dried up, put the shoelaces on and show 'em off!

Try it out and have fun!

2 Comments

  1. They're awesome! I made one myself too, check it out: funandoblivious.blogspot.com


    xxxx France

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I love seeing everyone's take on painting up galaxies, especially on different variations of shoes. I don't think you can go wrong with painting up galaxies, which makes it so much fun.

      Delete